Why is it so scary to truly listen to someone? To ask a question and truly wait for an answer? Because after listening, we might not have the answer. And being answerless... is terrifying.
But the truth is, giving advice takes away humanity. Puts you on a pedestal. Creates a barrier. To truly listen, connection, not solution, must be the goal.
Steps of Listening
- Respond to invitations for dialogue (they come in different forms)
- Ask simple questions that initiate conversation
- Clarify with follow-up questions
- Stay focused on the individual
- Pay attention to community
- Don't interrupt
- Continue to listen
- Create Relationship
Reposted from Facebook, April 17, 2021